Saturday 3 September 2011

Taste Odyssey #6 - Peanut Butter Bars

Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-Bars-I/Detail.aspx?prop31=5

There's not a lot to be said for this recipe.  I learned a few important lessons from it, so from a beginner standpoint it was a fantastic recipe, but it's very basic at the same time as it's very, very good.   Conversely, despite being delicious it also gave my wife a migraine and gave me a slightly queasy feeling (which I had conveniently forgotten about from when my mother used to make them years ago), so I'm not planning to make this a recipe that I come back to any time soon.  Nobody else managed this problem, however, and even those of us who fell ill still agreed they tasted great, so if you're feeling that masochistic baking urge then your ship may have come in.

The bottom layer is very simplistic.  My first lesson from this recipe was learning that confectioner's sugar is just icing sugar.  If you're like me, and I know I am, this may have thrown you off at first glance.  From my professional novice perspective I spent quite some time trying to find confectioner's sugar in stores before I resorted to the internet, which of course immediately showed me the way.  Oops.  Next was melting butter, which was a simple matter of a saucepan and medium heat, quite the contrast to certain other melting attempts.  Only the peanut butter looks to pose any real issue but it went pretty quickly into the mixture and the whole thing spread very easily into the pan.

Next stop, the topping, which is just melted chocolate chips.  Of course, after the truffle debacle I was incredibly leery of going back to the melted chocolate well, but there's no point in not challenging myself.  This time around I re-used my stoneware bowl, set the microwave at the higher 70% power level, and let it go for two minutes.  Perfect.  Depressingly so, given my struggles when I was doing the truffles.  Minimal stirring required to just get rid of the last couple hard chips, then an easy pour over the pan.





Dramatic action shot here.  Once the chocolate is nicely spread, resist the urge to carve a dirty word into it before it sets and stuff it into the refrigerator for an hour.  Cut, serve, enjoy, regret, repeat ad nauseum (lots of nauseum in my case).

That's it from this end of the world for the week.  Like I say, this recipe does taste amazing but you should know you may get more than you bargain for from the deal.  Still, it's hard to argue with results that look this good.







No comments:

Post a Comment